Monday, December 29, 2014

Sneaky Surgery

I feel like I have been waiting forever, but somehow surgery snuck up on me! This month has been go, go, go, so it feels strange that it's all coming to a screeching halt. But that isn't until tomorrow. Today was no exception from the busyness. I went to work for a few hours, before I hit the ground running with pre-surgery errands.


I had an orthodontist appointment to get on my surgical hooks and wire lacing up my wires for some extra support. They gave me a sweet surgery survival bag again!

I told my brother and sister-in-law that I feel like the furnace
from Home Alone with all these bars and hooks Haha! 

After I left the orthodontist, I continued my wild goose chase...  When I dropped off my five prescriptions at the pharmacy last week, I was told that they didn't carry the pain medicine elixir (liquid), so I continued to search at numerous pharmacies, called special pharmacies, and asked pharmacists I know where I could find it. Nowhere to be found! I started to worry because, uh, I think I'll want that one through the recovery! So in desperate, last-minute measures, I called my surgeon's office to let them know what was going on.  They called me back a little later to tell me know that Dr. M will give my parents a different prescription tomorrow at the hospital.

Lunch was my last meal with crunchy items for quite a while, then my mom and I went around to collect some things I'll need after coming home from the hospital. We went to Sam's Club and stocked up Ensure protein drinks and fruit for smoothies. 

Once home, I went to work on some teaching applications that I wanted to have mostly completed before surgery. I worked on that up until the last supper.  Haha! A lot of people have asked what my last meal would be, but I never really thought about it.  I'm supposed to eat light the night before anyway, so I just opted for having family over and ordering some pizza.  My niece must have know something was going on because she was being especially affectionate to me tonight. It was a very casual evening, but I wouldn't want it any different.  

It wasn't until after dinner when I realized I actually had quite a bit to think about.  I needed to shower, still wanted to update the blog, and completely forgot that I might need to bring a few things to the hospital since I will be staying overnight this time. I've been so casual about this surgery that I keep forgetting tomorrow isn't just a simple doctor's visit. 

We are supposed to be at the hospital at 7:30 in the morning, and our wake up call be be much earlier than that since we have to combat with rush hour.

Just a recap: I am having double (upper and lower) jaw surgery tomorrow.  They will be bringing my upper jaw forward, and slightly shifting my lower jaw.  Here are two short videos of general examples of what my surgeon will be doing.**This is not specific to me!

Upper

Lower



I am doing pretty well with all of this. It doesn't seem like it is happening tomorrow, so most of my concerns haven't reminded me of their presence recently. I will be very matter of fact about surgery then randomly worry about the pain I'll have, or worry that I won't like how my face or smile changes, or how there is a very, very small chance I will wake up with my jaws wired together. But I need to stop! Why worry about things that may not even be an issue?  Although, I will admit that it is very strange to think about how I will wake up after surgery, and my face will actually feel different.  My teeth will touch more than they have in years, and it is just odd that it can be done in one day instead of gradual movements.

Well, I'm sure there is more for me to say, or something that I am leaving out, but I can't think of anything right now. I'll leave you with some final before pictures.

Smiling
Relaxed jaw

      



























Sorry if this update is a mess. I didn't get to organize it as much as I'd like to.

Anyhoo... Think happy thoughts for me tomorrow! See ya on the other side.

No comments:

Post a Comment