Saturday, January 3, 2015

Day 3 and Day 4

I'm not too sure how I managed to get the last blog post out because the last three five days have been a complete blur.  None of my memories seem very clear, and I have no accurate measure of time. That being said I will do my best to give you a very brief update on the last day or so.


Day 3 was rough.

Luckily, the night before mom and dad found a humidifier and a Vick's vapor humidifier that helped me sleep easier at night.  Even with that though, I woke up with some congestion. And let me tell you... feeling stuffed up but not really being allowed to cough, sneeze, or blow my nose is awful.  I just want to blow my nose!

We had some friends and family stop by quickly to drop of some beautiful flowers and dinner for mom and dad.  They froze some for me for when I can eat again, but now I can only imagine what it is like to be a dog after smelling all the delicious aromas in the kitchen that I'm not allowed to eat yet.

I did well through most of the day, but I had a mini-meltdown in the afternoon.  My pain medicine was wearing off after only half of the time it was supposed to, my face felt like it was about to pop from swelling, I was already tired of the drinking the same foods, and I couldn't breathe through my nose. Miserable. Mom ended up calling the surgeon's office because of how little the pain medication seemed to be helping.  She spoke with my surgeon's partner and said that the third day is typically the worst with swelling and discomfort, but alternating Advil and Percocet every few hours should help.

I tried my best not to cry because that just makes things worse, but a few cries escaped before a strawberry-banana smoothie made me feel better.


Day 4

I woke up today feeling like I had turned a corner. I felt pretty coherent and jumped in the shower in
hopes of getting rid of any congestion. It helped for a bit, but then I got really nauseous and weak. I jumped out of the shower, yelled for my dad to bring  me something to eat, and ended up falling asleep for another few hours.  That weak feeling is always scary to experience, but I'm just glad I didn't fall at all.

The extra few hours of sleep helped, and I feel like I've turned a very tiny corner.  There is still a ton of swelling, but I don't feel quite so tight in my face.  I am realizing there is a lot of numbness and tingling present though. I can lightly touch most of my face and tongue without there being pain, but everything will tingle/burn, like a foot waking up from being asleep.

I've already had to discontinue use of one of my nasal sprays. Apparently, people can get addicted to it, but that sounds crazy to me. I hate the nasal sprays, so I am more than happy to be done with one of them.

Well, it's dinnertime now, and I want to try something new for dinner, but I'm not sure what.  I'll post some more pictures in the next day or so.

Happy weekend to you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment