Thursday, July 30, 2015

Check Up with the Surgeon

I had a check up with the surgeon yesterday.

This appointment was supposed to be the final post-op pictures, but I went to this appointment with some questions/concerns. 

1) The right side of my mouth still hits heavy.  The bite is so much better than before the surgeries, but I do not want say the journey is done until it is even. After all I've been through with this, I don't want to settle for anything other than what it should be.  I mentioned this to Dr. M, and he said he would like me to see Dr. S in the next month for him to even it out. This is called occlusal equilibration. AKA: bite adjustment. This would be him shaving down my teeth a little to even out the bite. 

2) I have had a pain under the right side of my tongue for about a month or so. At first I thought it was a sore on the side of my tongue, but I realized there was nothing sore to the touch.  The pain came...comes when I open my mouth to a certain degree when eating or yawning. Once it reaches that certain part, I feel a shooting pain under the right side of my tongue that goes from the back to the front.  Dr. M made sure there were no numb spots on my tongue and felt around that side of my mouth. 
He said this pain is probably being cause from one of the screws in my jaw.  There is a screw in my lower jaw bone right where the major nerve passes, so when I open my jaw to a certain point, the nerve is hitting the screw causing the shooting pain. He said this will diminish in time as that nerve will toughen. 

3) I noticed I am still grinding my teeth at night.  He said that may just be who I am now. I hope not, but nothing to do about that!

4) He said there is still a tiny bit of puffiness right near my nose. 99% of people wouldn't notice, but he says it will continue to disappear. 

5) The tingling on the right side of my lip and jaw is still improving. 


I'll update after the equilibration! 

No comments:

Post a Comment