Wednesday, February 19, 2014

It's begun!

The first steps have finally been made. It is making me realize the SARPE surgery is happening, and it is happening soon.

I had an appointment with my orthodontist, Dr. S, yesterday to make sure we were all on the same page about my treatment.  I think I surprised them a little bit when I said the surgery was on March 4th, considering that is only two weeks away.  At this appointment, we talked about the treatment plan and fees for all of the orthodontic procedures (insert feelings of extreme guilt and gratefulness here), put in some spacers in preparation for the expander, and set up a few more appointments.

For anyone who is unfamiliar... spacers are small rubber-bands that are placed 
between teeth in order to make space for bands to go around the tooth.

Spacers are not a big deal at all! So I didn't think anything of it when I got them put in, but later my mom asked if I wanted to take some Advil for it. I thought it was silly because, like I said, no big deal... But even no big deal can hurt! At dinner that night I tried to bite down, and I couldn't! Hah, I don't know, maybe I'm a baby. It'd be a different story if I could just chew in other parts of my mouth. Ironically, no where else in my mouth have teeth that touch together! 

Next Monday, February 24, I am going back to get the spacers removed, fitted for bands, and get the spacers put back in.  Bands are metal rings that encircle teeth to hold an appliance in place. I really like my orthodontist and everyone who works there, so I usually don't mind going to appointments at all. But I hate getting fitting for bands! You've got to try on a few sizes to get the right one, and trying them on consists of me having to bite down to get the metal to slide down my tooth. Ugh, it's almost like nails on a chalkboard for me!

This is a picture of a band. 

The following Monday, March 3, I am going back in to get the actual expander put in, so it will be ready for surgery the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment